Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

What's for dinner?

Before sharing more recipes with you, I want to emphasize the fact that what I'm writing on this blog is my own opinion and not necessarily the greater Oak Hill Community, and that no offense is intended to any reader. 
Our goal is to share with you the benefits of living a healthy lifestyle. It is important for us, and we would love to inspire you. That is as simple as that.

Thank you for support!

I was at school yesterday evening listening to Bernadette Noll, author of the book "Slow family living". She gave us good advices on how to slow down our days and enjoy our time with family. Big thanks to her!

And truly, where is the time going? We are so busy nowadays that we often don't take the time to cook anymore. 

Coming from another country, I had a different education and a different way of living. My mom used to cook from scratch every day and that is what I do too. I do it because I enjoy cooking but also because I want to know what is in my plate. I use the most natural ingredients but I find it difficult to buy everything organic, as it gets pricy quickly. I just try my best and using simple ingredients makes it easier.
I really would like to convince you that cooking can be easy and cost effective. At first, if you really never cooked, trying a difficult recipe may not be the best way to go. 

Instead, choose something simple. It doesn't have to be perfect at all and follow the recipe step by step until you are comfortable enough to let your creativity take over.

So what's for dinner? 
I chose something for beginners and tried to list it step by step. It is a simple tomato salad with hard boiled eggs, pork chops with tomato sauce, homemade mashed potatoes, fresh fruit salad. These portions are for 4. 

Tomato salad:
Cut 3 tomatoes in thin slices. I like them peeled. To do so, boil some water in a saucepan. Plunge it in hot water for a minute. Make sure to take it out of the water with a spoon and start to peel from the bottom. 
Watch out because it will be hot! Arrange the slices on a plate. In the middle, I like to add a 1/2 diced cucumber. I usually take the seeds out, it is easier to digest. Boil 2 eggs (in hot water for 10 minutes) and let the eggs rest in an ice-bath to “shock” them. That way, they are easier to peel. 
Another thing to know is that fresh eggs will be more difficult to peel. It is better when they are a week old. I cut them in four pieces and put them on the plate. I like to add parsley and basil as the green color makes it more interesting. For the dressing, I make a vinaigrette. I do not pour it on the plate because if there are leftovers, it is easier to conserve without the dressing.  

Vinaigrette:
In a bowl, put salt, pepper, one tablespoon of vinegar. I prefer the red wine or the balsamic but apple cider is great too. I personally would not use the white vinegar. Add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard and 3 tablespoons of olive oil, or grapeseed oil. Any kind of oil will do. Then you can add some garlic or shallots... or not.

Pork chops:
Take 3 pork chops and cut them in small pieces. Only three will be enough as I noticed that we have a tendency to eat less when it is cut in small squares. Not sure why.
In a large nonstick skillet, quickly brown the pork chops. Reduce skillet heat to medium, and add an onion previously chopped, cook for 2 to 3 minutes. In a small bowl, combine a can of tomato sauce (I like the brand Cento) with 2  garlic cloves finely chopped, some oregano if you have (parsley, basil or tarragon will work too). But if you don't have some, it will still be good. Add salt and pepper. Pour over chops. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. I like to add 2 tablespoon of heavy cream just before serving. But you don't have to. 

Mashed potatoes:
I like to make it with red potatoes. Place the potatoes cut in four in a large saucepan and cover with water. I add one packet of  chicken bouillon (I use Herbox sodium free). It gives a nice flavor. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until tender (10 to 15 minutes). Drain.
Place potatoes in a bowl; beat until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of warm milk and 1 tablespoon of butter. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
There are many ways to make mashed potatoes and your recipe may be different. 

Fresh fruit salad:
Mix fresh raspberries with 2 pears and 2 kiwis. 
This is just one recipe. My favorite is strawberries with blueberries and raspberries. 
I make a special one for adults and add 3 tablespoons of Grand Marnier and a tablespoon of sugar. Let it set for an hour in the fridge.
Again, this is not for children!!!


I hope this meal inspired you to cook with your family. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions, please contact me at:
Marielle.dessureault@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment